The Snay’s were in their living room this evening (Wed, Dec 30) when they suddenly noticed flames in the area of the Christmas tree, also in the living room.  Beth Snay said her husband, Todd, son Jonathan, and two dogs all evacuated without harm. Acting Police Chief Jay Niles called the “house a total loss.”  

Neighbors across the street called 911.  They recalled making the call sometime before 11 pm.  One resident on the lake saw the fire at 10:53 pm. Flames spread quickly, devouring the classic frame house. Gusty winds may have added to the challenge faced by firefighters. Vining Street and Hyde Road were filled with emergency vehicles.  The Columbia Fire Department continued to dowse the flames, which periodically would erupt again.  Other fire departments sped to the scene–Liberty, Napoleon, Somerset, and Summit.  Consumers Energy was on hand as well as Jackson Ambulance.  As it turned out, the ambulance service was not needed.  Emergency crews remained on the scene well into the overnight. 

The address of the house is 9359 Vining, which is on the north side of the street, adjacent to a home that once housed the Clark Lake telephone system.  The west end of Vining Street is where Clark Lake’s train station once stood.  

Photos, Video & Story:  Rick Belcher